Happy 25th Birthday Taylor Swift: How I became a Swiftie in 2014

December 13, 2014

" cherry lips, crystal skies... i could show you incredible things "




Taylor Swift turns 25 today (yay!) Being able to have 5 albums at such a young age, really bravo. I must say even though im not a big fan of hers from the very start, im someone that has grown to like her music(maybe a little too much to the fact that im always singing her song everywhere). In this blog post im going to tell you why i've grown to become a swiftie over 2014.

Her lyrics are relatable

Unlike any other artists, she channels all her experiences; be it good or bad into her lyrics. Her lyrics are so specific, because its always been targeted to a specific someone be it her haters (shake it off) or about her ex (Style, out of the woods). It allows us to relate to her because im sure everyone has been through several heartbreaks or rejections. I first came about knowing taylor swift in her first album named after herself, the song teardrops on my guitar. She wrote about how a boy would never know the reasons behind her tears because she is not the one he loves. Every line of her lyrics hit so close to a girl who got her heart broken. With lyrics such like "He says he's so in love, he's finally got it right, I wonder if he knows he's all I think about at night. " Remember those times when you cry yourself to bed or having many tosses and turns in your bed because you cant stop thinking about that special someone in your heart, but already has his eyes on someone else. "I'll bet she's beautiful, that girl he talks about, And she's got everything that I have to live without." saying that that girl he loves is so much more beautiful than her and she is the inferior one in her pov. Im sure when it comes to the person we fall in love with, we would always start to wonder whats so special about the girl he fell for rather than you and compare only to realize you magnify all her good points, maybe flawless skin, sparkling eyes... whatever that you dont have in you, and you start to justify yourself by telling yourself, " Maybe those are the reasons why..." Dont we always? 





In her second album titled Fearless, i absolutely love this song " White Horse ". You know when you hear good music you will feel goosebumps all over your body everytime you listen to it and maybe tear up a little. Thats how i feel whenever i listened to white horse. I remembered there was this brief period of time where i thought i was living in a fairytale because everything seemed so surreal, perfect and i thought ive finally found my knight in shining armour, and i literally called him that because he is just perfect in my eyes. 

                                          "I'm not a princess, this ain't a fairy tale,
I'm not the one you'll sweep off her feet,
Lead her up the stairwell
This ain't Hollywood, this is a small town,
I was a dreamer before you went and let me down,
Now it's too late for you and your white horse to come around"

This song made me came to realize that fairytales dont exist, and any kind of love that is like a fairytale will just end up in flames, just like how my relationship with him did. I really do love happy endings and ive always been holding onto a strong believe that it does, given my twitter and instagram name having cinderella in it. It was the worst heartbreak i've ever gotten and had to brace through, and i've always listened to taylor swift songs to bring me get through it because it lets my emotions flow and i will just hide in my bed and cry for an hour or so before i settle down and tried to carry on with my life. Its soothing and heals my wound of being so heartbroken because i know someone like her understood me because every line of the song seemed to fit in perfectly with my heartbreak. I wasnt  a swiftie back then because i only listened to one or two song then. 




" Memorizing him was as easy as knowing all the words to your old favorite song
Fighting with him was like trying to solve a crossword and realizing there’s no right answer
Regretting him was like wishing you never found out that love could be that strong "
" Losing him was blue like i've never known,
Missing him was dark grey all alone
Forgetting him was like trying to know somebody you've never met
But loving him was red "

Familiar with this song? Its Taylor Swift 4th album, Red. This was another song i listen to all the time to get over my heart break. Ive never felt so certain that i could meet someone and instantly made me feel like " im gonna marry this guy" in my head. I have never been so sure but i was wrong in the end. I never knew love could be so powerful, powerful enough to break someone into pieces. My pride, my ego, and everything else... just collpased. He told me that his favourite color was Red(Specifically, maroon), and loving him was indeed red, a hot burning flaming bassion that burnt down to ashes.



Moving on to her latest album 1989 which moves away from country style to pop music. Even though there is a change of genre, there isnt a change in her style of writing and im so glad.
I really love how she used " Shake it off " to tell her haters that she doesnt care about them and she's gonna shake them off (you go girl)! I really how she even further antagonize her haters by doing silly dance moves of different kinds because she was being mocked of her inability to dance. I really love how she could use her flaws to her media as a form of self acceptance so that they could not use against her, and thats the message that she is trying to send out to all of us: Shake off all em haters cos' haters gonna hate hate hate hate...








I absolutely LOVE BLANK SPACE. I cannot. even.
Blank space is about she keeps meeting the wrong guys which made her have "a long list of exes".



" Cherry lips, Crystal skies
I could show you incredible things
Stolen kisses, pretty lies
You're the king baby I'm your queen
Find out what you want
Be that girl for a month
But the worst is yet to come "

This shows how every girl(most) would be like in a relationship, or rather me. Every new relationship there will be a honeymoon period, where couples just love each other company and everything that they do is to get to know each other better and create memories with each other. The girl would be super sweet and perfect until...

" Screaming, crying, perfect storms
I could make all the tables turn
Rose garden filled with thorns
Keep you second guessing like oh my god
Who is she? I get drunk on jealousy
But you'll come back each time you leave
Cause darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream" 

This is when the honeymoon period is over and all the flaws of Taylor made guys run away from her through her insane level of jealousy, emotional breakouts, quarrels, fights. She totally turn 360 degrees to someone that he barely know anymore because of all the negative feelings and in turn driving him away.
Every relationship would always have this transition of honeymoon period to the comfortable period where couples are so comfy with each other that they make less effort to keep the flame in the relationship alive, and Taylor swift just wrote it perfectly within a verse that made it so relatable and of course with such a catchy melody it made it skyrocketed to number 1 in Billboards and the most favourite song by fans. 






Taylor swift makes the effort to meet her fans
After every concert, there would always be this secret meet and greet session for hardcore swifties spotted by her mum during her concerts and they would be a chance to fulfill their life long dream of meeting Taylor Swift. For the red tour it was Club Red, where lucky few are able to meet T swift after the concert. Whereas as compared to other stars they hardly hold any meet and greet with the fans like Ariana Grande. And for T swift to be willing to give more of her hardcore fans a chance to meet her through her own will is really admirable because this just shows how humble she really is and actually cares about her fans and reach out to her fan as far as she can. She is also spotted stopping by a girl in the park to take pictures with her just because she is a fan while she is doing her jog. 


 Club red over the world:)

 club red in singapore!



Taylor Swift is a strong women who stands by her values
T swift doesnt drink until she is 21, but she is already a star at a very young age. With such fame and fortune it is very difficult to stay away from pressure, look at how many stars that couldnt handle the fame i.e. Amanda Bynes, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan to do drugs/drink to take away the intense pressure they face by the media. She wants people to look up to her as a role model so she doesnt do things that would make her a bad influence. She doesnt use her body( she has amazing bods btw, she could totally blend in with the VS angels during 2013 2014 vs show) to sell her art but rather her music. She believes that music is an art and art should be appreciated through paying for them and put a risky decision to pull herself out from Spotify; a platform where artists songs are being streamed in order to gain new fans by reaching to a wider platform of audience. She stands by what she sets out to do, including saying she wont be dating anyone because she is best when she is alone, and she has stuck by her decision ever since Harry Styles in 2012. No doubt that she has been named Billboard Women of The Year, she has definitely earned her righteous spot there. 
Victoria Secret show 2013!

VS show 2014!

Billboard's woman of the year 2014

i've so much to say about her but she is just an amazing women and her music speaks for herself and her story. I would like to thank An Qi for somewhat dragging me into Taylor Swift's Red tour this year and attend my first concert ever, and i have no regrets that it was Taylor Swift's that i've attended. I would also like to thank her for bringing me constant updates about Taylor Swift such as the release date of 1989 and the released singles leading to the release date of her album and all. 
I've never thought that i would have become a swiftie myself because i always thought that Taylor Swift is just someone who just produces songs with good beat and that was it. Of course i've came to know that its more to her music than just good beats. 

With that, I would like to end my post here and Happy 25th Birthday Taylor Swift! Thankyou for being an inspiration and a role model to many young girls like me and continue being an empowered, strong woman like you are now.



 Some shots of her concert in my camera
Lovely An Qi:)

xx








You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe