Book cafes in Singapore: The Reading Room

December 21, 2014

Hey guys! If you've been following my instagram you would know i have been going to different cafes to camp in singapore. I've only visited two of them, the Book Cafe and the Reading Room! In this post im going to blog about The reading room and tomorrow i will update with my experience at the book cafe!



I went to the reading room on a Friday evening and there werent many people around, there were only this middle aged caucasion lady and a group of family of four there. I really loved the atmosphere there because the whole cafe is nicely decorated with shelves of books, giving it a very vintage, classy kind of look. The choice of books were quite limited cause i couldnt find anything that appeals to my eye even when i looked high and low for something that catches my eye. I spent about 10mins staring and going through the bookshelves before settling on this book which honestly it didnt even appeal to me because after 20 plus pages of it i still couldnt understand what the book was about. Its somewhat like a mystery kind of book so i didnt liked it.




 I went to the shelves closer to me and i found a whole roll of princess diaries and it certainly has brought back memories where I used to love and even buy them because the covers are so pink and beautifully decorated which i believe if a sale tatic to draw little girls into buying them(me included), and i finally settled down with another book and it appealed more to me because i could understand the storyline. It was about this girl who just got fired from her job and she is desperate to find some money which leads her to do desperate measures.

 When i was browsing for more books i saw this weird looking stacks of circular thing that caught my eye and it was suppose to be put into a mickey mouse 3D image viewer machine to view it.  I remembered how i used to buy those when i was little, something like a kaleidoscope but its images and you can change it by pressing the handle! It was so pretty.
The round disc! There is a stack of them where that came from!

3D viewmaster!

 When it was 6pm the shop owners off the lights and the fairy lights which i didnt really realize was there which clinged onto the book shelves shone. The shop owners started placing candles on each and every one of the tables as well, making the whole cafe to have a different kind of atomosphere altogether. One thing that im a sucker for are restaurants that have candle lights, it just makes the whole dining experience so much better because of the romantic feel i guess. And when you are at a cafe, the dimmed orange lights from the lamp and candle lights makes you feel like you are in the library at night, that sense of tranquility.
The fairylights behind me!

 Yay to cute snowman!



 I left the cafe at about 8pm and by then the whole cafe was already fully seated.
The only downside to the cafe was that the only corner that had a plug was at a corner away from all the bookshelves so i guess you cant really use the plugs elsewhere because all were used up for decorations such as lamps. The menu was definitely overpriced because i ordered this garden salad and it costs like $9.80?!

The salad that i had, but it was a big bowl though. I told the lady i didnt want the salad anymore because i was coughing every few minutes cause they put too much pepper. The lady stared at me when i told her there was too much pepper and gave me this judgemental look. Like, i know im wasting food but I feel so offended getting judged because she looked at me from head to toe and back at my eyes again several times and i felt so annoyed.
 The choice of food was very limited as well though they offered a variety of drinks from different kinds of tea to the typical kind of coffees and alcohol like red wine/white wine/beer could be served as well. I would definitely go back the second time for a visit because im someone who goes for ambiance and not really the food. If you want a short getaway from reality you could always go to this little gem at Outram Park which is just 5mins walk away! (Plus points for accessibility!)

My ratings:
Food - 4/10
Ambiance - 7/10
Service - 5/10

See you all tomorrow!




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe