Should I Change My Course In NTU?

September 27, 2017




As many of you have known, I am in my third year studying Electrical & Electronic Engineering in NTU. What many of you didn't know, or probably only had a rough idea of, was that I have tried to change my course during the period of Y1S2. I did everything that I could to appeal out of EEE but I have failed to do so.

The purpose of this post is to help future NTU students who are in the same situation as me i.e. hating every second of their soul in their current course and wanting to get out of it some advice from someone who has tried and been through the whole process of it to make a better choice whether to attempt make a switch of course. This is to prevent others from walking down the same path as me and making the same mistakes as me because they didn't know better.

Changing course within University is a popular subject to be mentioned, discussed about but never to be pursued due to its tedious nature and the little information is provided by the school.

A little background: 

After my Y1S1 final examinations, I was quite determined to change course because I had just about enough of EEE. If you are an EEE student, you should know what I'm referring to; the heavy and difficult content, the infinite number of labs per module to attend to, the famous EEE bellcurve whereby whatever you think you get is probably two grades down.

I came from the JC route and I couldn't even take the idea of surviving through modules that have little to do with electrical/electronic modules like math l, phy 1, computing. I knew I was going to drown if I stayed in EEE.

The process:

Dec 2015

I made the a move to contact the School of Communication and information, also known as WKW to ask for a point of contact to discuss more about changing to WKW by the end of Y1S2.

I was given an email to communicate with one of the staffs there and she told me I could try to take some of the WKW modules and they would consider me for a transfer.

I was so desperate to get out of EEE that I loaded up four WKW modules, determined to prove my worth in a spot in WKW.

Jan 2016

Add Drop period was the worst. I couldn't add some of the WKW modules into my STARS because I am not a student there and I had to go to EEE to get an E stamp or something which has to be given to WKW to be approved what not.

The second week of Add Drop was about to end and I got only one module from WKW and the rest were still on waitlist as WKW modules are very popular among NTU students.

I was so desperate that I had to ask for the staff for advice and she eventually helped me load up the rest of the modules that I wanted to take immediately. I was so thankful for the help given to me if not I wouldn't have had the chance to take them.

With HG8011, CS8700 and Symmetry which had no examinations.



May 2016

Results were out and I did relatively alright, nothing over the roof but not too bad either. I decided to send in my application to be considered for a transfer.





About two weeks later, I received the outcome to my application:





Rejected.

Just like that, without any interview or explanation. I wasn't satisfied with the generic answer that they have given me and I called up the WKW office and asked further. I made multiple calls and even re appealed against the outcome but got rejected again.

After multiple phone calls, these where the reasons I have accumulated from them for their rejection of my application:

1) My UAS score was way below their cut-off point. 
(Also known as Rank Points from 'A' levels)

2) My grade attained for General Paper was a C 
(They have stated that the minimum grade was a B)

3) My GPA wasn't fantastic. 

4) There are other applicants who had the upper hand due to better grades


I guess the worst part of all these phone calls and exchanges of emails, I was asked not to try again to appeal to WKW as my chances were slim and settle to file for a minor in Communication Studies instead.

So you see, it isn't easy to change course and most people usually would just succumb to just follow through the course that they were already in.

I guess I caught onto that glimpse of hope and went ahead to do it anyway because I know my heart would never be at peace with myself for not even trying for something I claimed that I really wanted.

It was all a rather in vain but at least now I can say that I have done my best and whatever that I could have done.

Advice:

I am not very sure about having a switch between Engineering courses but I have heard that it is easier so long as you have a rather decent GPA, probably >4 to stand a better chance. Also, do it in your Y1S1 because it's the semester whereby all of the Engineering students will have common modules and you wouldn't lack behind by much if you have successfully appealed into the other school.

As for a totally different faculty switch like in my case, chances are they are going to see your UAS score. 

Among the many calls and emails that I have sent out to inquire about my application, most of them pointed out that my 'A' level results did not meet the requirement to enter their school.

You might think they will look how well you have fared for the modules you have taken from their school but honestly I don't think they really take into consideration. This is because to them, they think that whatever modules you have taken are just the tip of the ice berg of what you need to take if you are in their school.

I think the important takeaway is that if your cut off point did not meet the requirement for the school you are appealing to, you can save yourself some heartache and the hassle to attempt to change course.

This is why there is close to none students transferring across a completely different schools because chances are you fall into that category where you didn't get accept there in the first place due to your entry point into NTU.

However, do not take this to heart if they rejected you because there are better students out there with a more beautiful portfolio or jaw dropping grades.

It does not mean that you are bad, there are just people out there better than you. You can be good at your craft, but there are people who are just better. That's probably the cold hard truth about life.

Consequences:

Due to the 'gap' semester that I have taken to load up most of my UEs and GERPEs, I had to do 5 core module per semester. This workload is equivalent to a direct year 2 EEE student. This is the consequences that I have to bear and to be honest it wasn't easy fighting through them, especially you have unsettled feelings towards the rejection. 

I have been through 2 whole semesters doing 6 and 5 cores, and doing 5 cores this semester in order to catch up/be on par with my peers.

Y2S1

Y2S2

It was not easy fighting through the curriculum by yourself since your course mates have already taken some modules and the mid terms periods are usually squeezed all into one week.

This is because the school assumes that you would've cleared by the curriculum that they have given you so your midterm/exam timetable is pretty messed up. I still remembered having 5 mid terms in 1 week and I wanted to die.

Conclusion:

If you are someone like me who needs the glimpse of hope to be slammed shut in your face before backing down, you can always go ahead and give it a try because for all you know every faculty is different.

If you are rejected, it isn't the end of the world yet.

I had a damn hard time adjusting back to the rigorous and demands of the curriculum of EEE, especially when all the engineering modules like circuit analysis, digital electronics starts to kick in.

I dreaded going back to school and felt so sick and wanted to quit school altogether.

It really isn't easy to receive the kind of emotional trauma to be kicked back to the hell hole you were trying so hard to escape, especially when you lived one whole semester of bliss doing modules that you actually enjoy and love.

But here I am, in my year 3. Even though I'm not exactly doing fantastic but I guess I have learnt to make the best out of my time in this course.

It's never always bearable and you will definitely have nights thinking how life would've been if you were in a course you love. You know, how your GPA might have been so different and all those opportunities that you might have to build towards a portfolio for your future job.

Being in EEE taught me more than just circuits, electronics and programming. It taught me to be strong to bite my teeth through this pretty tough course till graduation. It taught me grit, to find ways to pursue Mass Comm related even though I am restricted by the little time I have and resources that are available to me.

I've always told myself that if i can survive through EEE, I can survive through anything life throws at me after that.

I hope this post has helped someone, probably a lost soul who is feeling dejected and at a loss some insights of how the process it goes and make your choice wisely.

When you hit rock bottom, the only way is up. 






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe