Illumi Run 2014

November 29, 2014

It was the first 5km run i've attended in my entire 18 years of my life. Before i went to illumi run, i kept thinking that im going to die because the furthest that i've ran was 4km round my house. I stopped running since June because of A levels and you can tell that my metabolism is like shit. LIKE SHIT. I used to run like 14mins back in secondary school for my 2.4km (WHICH, btw is pretty darn impressive for someone who is like a ball/not sporty from the start). You know i have no idea how people are able to train to run so fast. Like, ive been in netball for 4 years and i even run on my own on non cca days but yet my timing was no way near compared to other girls. Im always the last in netball to complete my 3km route. Heh, how embarrassing.

Anyway... i've decided to join this run since Charlotte and Kaising, who are my best friends since primary school are able to make it and what a better way to meet up than through an event? I must say the price of $78 for the run is a little too overpriced. I've definitely enjoyed myself but i still felt that i was overcharged. More details on that later.

We met at promenade and made our way to F1 Village where the run was held. We arrived there around 8pm and we had to rush to put our bags in the bag check in point because there was this person yelling at us through megaphone to make our way to the startline as it will close at 8.30pm.

Before the run! Dry and clean!


We started walking among the sea of people to the start point and we were held in this small enclosed area whereby we need to wait every minute to be let off to run. At that point, there were DJs entertaining us and blasting music through the speakers. Though it had a very party atmosphere, it didnt quite hype us up quite just yet.
Waiting to start!
After being let off and into the run, we were walking along the aisle of road where we had to walk really slowly as the pathway is squeezy. 5mins after that, we arrived the first at the green zone where we are being hit by blast of green paint and went through this tunnel with luminous light so we could see the paint glowing on our shirts. I was quite impressed cause i've always wanted to 'glow' in luminous light, kinda reminds me of some superhero in Sky High which could glow. it made me feel like i had some superpower or something.
Yay to luminous light!

After 10mins or so of walking we arrived at the orange zone and we were being splash with paint again. During the walk to the orange zone there wasnt anyhing special but music blasting as we were walking.

It was when we were approaching the blue zone that we got really started getting to hype up. There was this long stretch of two way road and we could see people going in the opposite direction from the other side of the run. We started running along the divider of the roads and smacking our... whats that thing called? The spongey glow stick we had to the people of the other side and they would hold up theirs for us to hit. It was sooooo crazy because people started to cheer. There are people who tried to steal our glowstick when we were running down with it and charlotte lost hers cause someone snatched it from her HAHAHA! It wasnt a big deal because there were glow sticks everywhere on the floor. Speaking of picking up of glowsticks on the floor, i found so many sunglasses on the floor which others dropped and i went to pick them up and kept it. Hey dont judge me im not aunty, im just helping people to clear up the mess yeah (probably unleashing my inner auntyness in me too) hehe. We took many photos along the singapore flyer because the view was so awesome. Side track: I was so disappointed because i was right below the F1 pit building and Eunice Annabel was right up there having her dinner. So close, yet so far away. Sigh.
The two-way road
Panorama view 

We walked to the other side of the road and there were luminous lights attached to the railings for us to take photos. Everyone was crowding around the lights like those flies that comes out after a rain to any light source ahahaha. There was a DJ stationed there to play music throughout as well and people were climbing onto the deck to camwhore with him.

We finally got to the blue zone and thats when i got super annoyed probably cause its my fault. Remember when i said i picked up many sunglasses along the way? I didnt use them. I only hung them on my shirt and put them on my head. I failed to remember to true purpose of them, which is to protect our eyes from getting splashed from the luminous paint. AND I GOT HIT. RIGHT IN MY EYE. My eyes hurt like crazy and i was quite worried cause i was wearing contact lens and i was afraid the paint might tamper my contact lens. Lucky for me the pain went away after awhile. SO GUYS, please put on your sunglasses before you enter the splash zone because its really not fun being hit right in the eye. nopenopeynope.

The next part of the run was the best in my opinion. It was like this underground tunnel where it is pitch black and the only light source is the laser light this projector or something. IT WAS DAMN COOL. It felt like an underground club or something with the dj blasting songs and everyone was jumping around, snatching to be in the camera of the Illumi run officials. I guess i just like it because its covered and i think i like to be enclosed, like the feeling of escaping into somewhere, like a secret tunnel.

The lights!
When we arrived at the pink zone, there wasnt enough paint to load into the thing they use to shoot us so they dipped their hands with the pink paint and wipe it on our shirts. There were many rainbow-like pink banners and it was so nice considering pink its my 2nd favourite color (guess whats my favourite) and we took many photos there.


And that was it. The run ended. LIKE WHAT. I dont know if its a good thing or a bad thing but it totally didnt felt like 5km to me. So it probably was too fun or i was expecting more. I was kind of disappointed because i wasnt really very hyped up even after the race. Like, there wasnt anything extremely fun thing to get high over. But of course i was impressed in some areas like the underground f1 pit as well as having luminous light pit so that we can camwhore after every splash zone.

We went back to the main venue and started exploring and took many photos. There were many spots you can take your group photos such as the illumi run 2014 wall with luminous light as well as the puff up "ILLUMI" . If you really want a damn good photo, you can head to the photobooth whereby there is this pink background with illumi run words in white all over and have your picture taken with a professional camera, but you have to pay for the photographs for $5 per print. I guess if you are someone that likes keeping memento u can always do that. There is also this illumi face painting where you can have your face painted with either rainbow or flower. I didnt have a chance to take my flower because i sweat and it faded away ;< There were also snack bars and selling of alcohol as well.
ILLUMI puff up sign
Illumirun2014 backdrop
The one with luminous light!

After taking some photos we went to the party. We squeezed into the sea of people and started getting crazy and all. There were many people poking holes in their mineral waterbottles and spraying everywhere in the crowd. I swear i couldnt breathe in the sea of people, and i will die in the scent of body odor everywhere especially after a run. It was my first having a club-like experience and it isnt really my cup of tea because i really hate squeezing with people and having the need to fight for oxygen, especially when the guys around me are so tall standing at like 1.8m while im 20cm shorter than them? Im like drowning in dense hot air and i literally died. I secretly wish that the beat would faster drop so that people would jump around and i could catch a gasp of fresh cold air. Nonetheless, it was really fun, ESPECIALLY when your favourite songs are being played or your usual study songs to keep you going. It feels really awesome and you start to sing along any song you knew and chant along with the crowd. My favourite was Katy Perry's firework because it reminded me of the days back in my secondary school in cm camps where firework is a song where we always liked to sing along whenever we are bored, certainly brought back many memories because its been awhile since i heard the song anywhere. Another was Reload and summertime sadness which are often replayed on my playlist when im studying during my As.




We left at about 11pm and head back home and reached home around 12am.
Taking the train back home!
My loots of the day HAHAHAH! As many of you all know, i rushed to do my first vlog cause i was so damn excited to get it done especially getting some awesome footage in my first 5km run but youtube doesnt allow me to let mobile devices view the video due to copyright issues because of the music i used. Argh. I stayed up till 6.30am just to do the damn video and you guys cant see it but through computer. So annoyed and upset. I had to render twice because i was using sony vegas 13 trial version cause i didnt had any video editting software and there was this watermark that keeps appearing and it really pushes my button so i deleted the video and reupload one without it after hours of research. Imagine how upset im feeling right now cause my video cant be viewed :( Well i guess there is always trial and error. My video wasnt in HD version because i recorded some parts(most) vertically. Gosh. I have so much to learn but i promise i will fix the problem with youtube soon and record a better vlog the next time!

In all, Illumi run was an awesome experience because the view during the run was really spectacular because you get to see singapore landmarks up close such as the singapore flyer, marina bay sands and marina bay shoppes. The after party was really awesome and it definitely made me feel like i didnt want the night to end, especially with such good company. I will definitely go for 2015 illumi run if there is one! Thats it for now, will update this space tomorrow as my post As adventure continues. Ciao!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe