Instawalk: Sungei Buloh

January 27, 2015

booklet designed by TSL Amanda

Hey!  If you have been following this space, you would know that I've went on an instawalk to Pulau Ubin, if not you can check it on at my link here. This time around, I've went on yet another interesting and wonderful instawalk organized by The Smart Local in collaboration with Nparks and MNDsingapore.
I woke up at 6AM in the morning and made my way to Kranji MRT, can you imagine how tired I was especially when I havent been awake at that kind of hour for a long time after schooling.
As I made my way to the meeting point at Kranji MRT, I saw Fauzi and was greeted by him once again as he handed me my goodie bag and told me I was in team Christabel(YAY!). I felt so alone because I was there alone again. The first one was because there was still As chem and bio mcqs left, and the second one being so far away and no one love me enough to wake early to travel to the west with me. Such friends HAHAHA!

I felt so much better when I saw Keith and we caught up a little. We boarded the bus and found an empty seat beside this gorgeous girl. Eventually I got to know that her name is Ashleey. She has the coolest job that i've ever known and we are both in team Christabel. I was like yay I've met a new friend to buddy with so I dont feel so alone.

Once we alighted the bus, we are greeted by our tour guides from Nparks and we all received a cool looking hat from them which got me so excited because it made me felt like i'm going on a real adventure.
off we go!
Are we tourist enough yet?

 We got to our first stop which was the Junior Adventure Trail whereby it's designed for little kids to play around and pretend like they are mudskippers jumping around the mud and there is a pulley boat for you to pull yourself to and fro. I admit it's damn fun jumping around on the decks. Even though its designed for kids i'm still afraid that I would miss a step and fall into the muddy patch of grass. It's definitely a fun spot for little kids if you are one of those who just can't sit still and have to move around a lot.
picture from mnd singapore

We went to the Mid canopy walk next. It's a bridge whereby its being levelled about 3m above the floor, much like a mini tree top walk in macritchie except that it's at a lower ground. I guess we are supposed to see different reptiles and animals that lies among the forest but I didn't get to see any. I guess I wanted to walk finish the 150m long bridge because there were kids there who couldn't stop jumping on it and made me so dizzy. Argh, so irritated.




As we were walking towards the Eagle Point Broadwalk, I managed to get to talk to two others in team bellywellyjelly. I got so excited because we came from TPJC and all of us were taught by Ms Delphine Tan. It just felt like a TPJC alumni reunion though we don't know each other before that. Funny how we managed to form a bond just like that. There was also this couple of an older generation than the rest. The lady, Eileen had the same sports shoe as me and i was so amused because I've never seen anyone with my shoe. She was so kind talking to me and always telling me where was the grasshopper/catepillar/whatever-kind-of-flower-tour-guide-just-said because i'm always so blur.
Zhiying and Yingiet! 

We came to the Eagle Point Broadwalk and the scenery was so breathtaking. I never knew the skies of Singapore could be so clear and blue and the clouds that are as white as snow. It's just like a totally different view from what you see from the hustle and bustle of the city streets. Here, we can see Malaysia from here. I could see the skyscrapers blending into the clear blue skies which could totally painted into a portrait.



Team bellywellyjelly at eagle point broadwalk

The eagle point broadwalk is connected to the coastal trail which takes us deeper into the forest so that we get to see mangrove trees and their roots. I really wonder why our geography teachers never ever took us to all these excursions to look at all these beautiful fine detailed roots of the mangroves, because it would totally show us how mangrove trees are like instead of just taking it from the textbook. If you are geography teacher and you are reading this, please do take your kids to this place because this place is full of mangroves and different kinds of it, from the classic many thin roots that protrude out from the mud to mangroves that spreads itself out like an umbrella. It's just something you got to see it for yourself.
Coastal trail


way to the pods

We came to the 3 famous pods that people usually come to Sungei Buloh for; Kingfisher Pod, Mudskipper Pod and Dragonfly Pod. Here you can see more mangroves, but these mangroves generally grow in the sea. There are also many birds that flew past here for reasons I do not know, but probably I guess most birds migrate past by here?

 Kingfisher's pod

 Dragonfly pod

team bellywellyjelly at the pod
 photoception


We arrived at the visitors centre and we FINALLY had a chance to rest. Ashleey and I started to talk more and I really admire how cool her job is as a journalist for SPH and she even wrote a guide-book of Malaysia, how amazing is that? I really love how she never treated me like some small girl but rather someone that she can talk to about anything from her job and the social media industry. She really taught me things that I never knew about her industry like how she started out interning and then got a job at SPH. Hopefully I can be as successful as her in time to come as well.

Mangrove Broadwalk was next on our list and me and Ashleey took photos there. 


Gorgeous isnt she?
Ashleey telling me how to pose like her hehe


On our way back from mangrove broadwalk, I let out a big gasp because I saw a freaking monitor lizard. Like oh my shit, it's so long and huge and it totally blended into dirty brown ground.

Our last stop was the migratory bird trail which we spotted a crocodile basking under the sun to get some heat into its body because its cold blooded. Thankyou mr handsome crocodile for letting us take pictures of you, you are too kind. At the far end there were tons of white birds gathering on the land while near the edge of the bridge we were standing at there were ton of silver colored fish that reflects the rays of the sun light, kind of makes me wanna catch them all and make them into a reflector to take good photos with good lighting hehe.
 spot mr alligator

fishies!

We ended the instawalk with prize presentation and i got a little time with Christabel.
I love how Christabel is so down to earth and humble given the fact that she is an influencer. I always thought that influencers are who they are because they are just beautiful looking and takes pretty pictures. However, Christabel takes the time to talk to each and everyone of us during the walk and tried to make small talks in attempt to know our lives better. It really reflects how loved she is because she is kind and loving to everyone around her that makes people so comfortable enough to tease her saying she is crazy because she has this very positive vibe around her that makes her easily excited and do 'retarded' stuff. I was too shy to really talk to her, and it's especially awkward when her boyfriend is someone that I kind of know back in secondary school from the stories I hear from my friends in PSL, but even with the limited conversations with her, it made me feel like she is a really kind hearted and lovely person and more than just a pretty face. That's the kind of person that I really want to be, to be down to earth and kind to everyone even when you are known.

Christabel!
 We had an award ceremony of the best photos taken as well as the best group shot and... Team Sandra won!


I really enjoyed myself there because I got to meet new and amazing friends there and i got to go to sungei buloh. I wouldn't have been there myself because it's so far. I would have preferred the first instawalk though cause we got more free time to mingle around with everyone and that we are not restricted to only talk to people in our teams only. I would love it if everyone had travelled along together as a big group because there would have been more communication among everyone else and getting to talk to other influencers of different teams as well. Of course I love how we got more time between the team we are in yay team bonding!
 Behind the scenes
Team joallywellyjelly

#teamChristabel
With the influencers that joined us yay! 

I've really enjoyed myself over these two instawalks, and thankyou The Smart Local for giving me the opportunity to join these two walks with them. I really hope I'm able to attend future instawalks as well and meeting new amazing people that I still keep in contact with now. If there is a next instawalk, you would probably see me there ;)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe