Little things

June 21, 2013

Little things.

It's those little things in life that makes us what we are today. Sure, the big things in life such as getting a pretty good result for your major exams, your wedding day and even getting your car license will be the things that makes us who we are today some way or another. However, it's about those little moments in life, especially those tough roads that bound to have many obstacles blocking our way from our goals, that makes our life worth keeping memories and looking back at.

It's also those little gestures from others, those small action of kindess that makes us remember why they mean so much to you. The beauty about little gestures is that the party doing it may not know their impact towards the receiver, yet it's still fondly etched in our minds. For example, I still remembered how my grandmother would ask me what I would want for lunch the next day so she could prepare for me. The food was always there in the living room on a small marble table when I've gotten home in primary school and it was always the highlight of my day after having such a rough day at school. I remembered how that my grandmother even ran after the school bus to the next stop just to hand me my art and crafts bag. Can you believe it? A 50+ year old then grandma chasing after my school bus just to hand me my stuff because she was so afraid that I will get scolded by my teacher for it. There are others who have made small gestures in my life back then that I still remember till this very day. My cousin, belle, had bought me a Barbie doll pouch because I told her I wanted one just like hers. The reason I wanted one? I just idolize her. I still do. The fact that she let me 'copy' her style back then didn't bother her but rather she acknowledged my idolization towards her which meant so much to me. Mr Jeremy Tan, my math tuition teacher back in primary 6 bought me bubble tea whenever he came my house for tuition. Presently, little gestures still touch my heart and I will definitely remember them few years down the road. my present math teacher, Mr Tan Yik Wei, commented casually that I am a smart girl and he's sure I'm able to do well eventually. Never in my seventeen years of my life a teacher has labelled me in the category of  'smart' but rather 'hardworking' , 'determined' or whatever synonym you could find but never 'smart' . Even though it was really a casual comment, but I've never ever felt that way about myself. It made me feel good even though deep down inside my heart I still do not think that im smart but I feel so acknowledged for being 'smart' even though I ask really stupid questions during tuition. It was just heart warming. Unknowingly, I started feeling more confident about myself and my ego definitely boast and I really felt better about myself ever since then. I started complaining lesser about being so stupid and being a slow learner but rather, ' I got this in the bag, I can do this, im Victoria. '

We may not know how our little gestures may affect other's life, but I would definitely try to make someone's day when I can.

Which brings me to my next point, Aaron.
I know many have questioned why im with him cause we have been fighting like two fighting fish being put in a tank. I am a very firm believer in astrology. I've read up on Cancer and Aries' compatibility, and we are definitely the very opposite of each other and we have a lot of differences between each other and those differences are in our personalities which cannot be changed. So why am I still with him when I know there are going to be so much fights like these because of our conflicting personalities. The reason is very simple. Despite our differences, he still made little gestures that kept our relationship alive and burning. Of course, he is the first guy that I've ever confessed to that felt the same way for me. Yes, I confessed, but don't go all judgemental on me.
As mentioned in knight in shining armour l, when I had fallen hopelessly in love with him back then, he was in love with someone else, or apparently so. Knowing that I had no chance with him, especially after the fact that he addresses me as sis, I just went on a self-destruction mode and blurted out my feelings when we had a very big fight on the last day of a 3-day cold war between us. I knew from the moment when I confessed to him, things would end between us. Not even being friends. However, he still replied my message but didnt said much but sorry for being such a bastard and he hoped that I would reply him the next day. It's those little gestures that he have done throughout the next few days that made me trust him that he was in love with me from the very start, and the other girl is just someone that he had forced himself to like her because he thought that he couldn't get me(he explained this to me in the later part of our relationship). He sent 10 emails, one each day when im away in Japan, made the effort to include emojis in our conversations even though he wasn't a very expressive person. Even after being in the relationship, he knows that i have a very bad temper and he would let me vent my anger on him. Whenever we end up not talking to each other, he still picks up my phone call, no matter how badly we have quarrelled. He picks up macdonalds and delivers it to my house when I said I really craved for Mcnuggets with curly fries at that point of time. All this cliché things, really made me want to hold onto this relationship because i feel that there is no point in quarrelling over something that didn't matter and forgetting whatever happy memories that we've ever had.

One little thing that Aaron said to me before when I felt insecure was, 'Whatever your past is, leave it in the past. I love you for the way you are now and what happened doesn't matter anymore. ' This meant so much to me because i have done terrible things in the past, things that even I am ashamed of myself too. Things that i wished that i wouldn't have done if i had the chance to turn back time and undo them. I'm trying so hard to run away from my past but sometimes it just catches me up like seeing my ex- school mates, ex-lovers coincidentally on the streets makes me want to hide away from all of them. I still have this fear up till today, but believe me, with aaron, it's getting better. Even though he knew me from a completely different background from most of you, he is accepting of whatever bad sins that i have done and he is completely non-judgemental about it. I have never felt so accepted by someone before, for the way that I am, and not someone they want me to be. Of course, I tell him about my past but he would just listen to me rant endlessly and not making a judgement about anything that i have done. This is something that I really appreciate him doing, this small gesture of his; accepting my past.

So, be sure to make an effort to make someone's day by doing a simple gesture for others. It can be opening doors for a complete stranger, helping a friend get coffee, send a motivational message. Who knows, they will remember that moment for the rest of their lives.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe